Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Feathers...My Nemesis

I began doodling feathers today...most of the morning to be exact...I have always loved feathers, but have never tried to make them...well today was the day...bad idea, really bad idea...gave me a headache the size of Texas! Drawing them is so much easier than actually quilting them...still I tried and will try again in the future...although I think I will do so on a much smaller scale until I can get the correct feel for them...on paper is much easier than when you put thread to fabric...feathers 1, me 0...tomorrow is another day after all...seriously, I have watched video after video of people doing feathers and they make it look so very easy...not! at least for me it is not...I am a very visual learner so thought the videos would be a great help...I think they did help some, but I definitely need more practice...so I will be practicing these on a regular basis so I can become proficient at doing them...hopefully it will not take the rest of my life to do so...
I do think that white thread would look better and also help hide the imperfections, but I wanted to see where my mistakes were...well I can definitely see them! I do think for a first time try at feathers I did not do too awfully bad though...and I think with some much needed practice that I will be able to master these enough to use them in a quilt...as my mom used to say " if at first you don't succeed, try, try again"...so there will be more feathers in my future...keep those needles stitching.
Wendy

4 comments:

Jane said...

I found doing them bigger was easier than doing it smaller. I definitely need more practice too

chrissie said...

These look amazing-your drawing and your stitching. What a wonderful project.

Chrissie x

Gina E. said...

..a headache the size of Texas - LOL! Gotta remember that :-)
I am just learning to to machine quilting, and I doubt if I'll be doing a feather pattern in the near future!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

They look so good....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails